Ohio Defense Force Home Guard
Geauga County Home Guard
"Fate * Favors * The * Bold"
14 October 2008
I want to thank you for meeting with me on Tuesday October 12th. The discussion we had was very beneficial and I look forward to working with the Geauga Constitutional Council in the future.
After the forum held at West Geauga High School on September 22nd I could sense that Geauga County citizens including myself were concerned with our overall safety and protection in the event of a natural/man-made disaster or pandemic flu. It was after this forum that I took the initiative to form the Geauga County Home Guard. The Geauga County Home Guard is officially affiliated with the Ohio Defense Force Home Guard and is formally designated 2nd Platoon of the 3rd Battalion, 'A' Company, also known as the Northeastern Ohio Defense Force (N.E.O.D.F.).
The Ohio Defense Force Home Guard was founded in 1989 by former members of the Ohio Military Reserve's 3rd Infantry Brigade. We are a state chartered, state incorporated, non-profit, Constitutional, Home Guard as established by both Federal law and the Ohio Revised Code Section 5923.01.
During our tenure the Ohio Defense Force Home Guard has grown and past missions and activities to name a few include:
• 1990 - the deadliest flood in Ohio history happened in the southern end of Belmont County at the little town of Shadyside. The SouthEastern Ohio Defense Force answered the call, even before the National Guard arrived, and put armed volunteers into the area to assist with recovery, missing persons search & rescue, and to prevent looting.
• 1990 & 1991 - provided security for teen alcohol and drug prevention dances.
• 1993 - established a community service mission with the Village of White Cottage, providing security and parade traffic control during their Community Days Festival.
• 1994 - began participating in the Muskingum County disaster drills training with fire, EMS, police, Sheriff, and Highway Patrol, just to mention a few.
• September 11th, 2001 - the SouthEastern Ohio Defense Force decided to expand operations to better serve the citizens of Ohio. The 5th and 3rd Battalions; SouthWestern Ohio Defense Force and NorthEastern Ohio Defense Force, respectively, were formed from eager members who traveled regularly to Zanesville, Ohio the state headquarters for training.
• 2005 & 2006 - assisted with the Toys-for-Tots drive.
• 2007 - the 1st Battalion would grow to include a 3rd Platoon located in Belmont County. 4th Battalion, NorthWestern Ohio Defense Force founded.
• 2008, July - assisted the Belmont County Sheriff's Department in a man-hunt for a fugitive from justice Erik Perez Hernandez.
The Ohio Defense Force Home Guard has a long tradition of community dedication and civic duty. Our mission is to assist local and State governments, their agencies and law enforcement authorities in emergency situations; assist in the lawful protection of local citizens in emergencies; and organize and train individuals to provide such assistance. It is my belief that the old saying, "GOD helps those who help themselves", is still true to this very day.
In any given situation, when seconds count the police, fire, or EMS is only minutes away. This is why the Ohio Defense Force Home Guard continually trains in Civil Defense Readiness and Response, Marksmanship, Home Preparedness, Survival, and First Aid/CPR/AED, just to name a few, with the police, Sheriff, fire, EMT's, and local Emergency Management Agencies because those precious seconds do count and with skilled training it improves a citizens ability to manage.
Teams are being formed now. All interested Geauga County citizens should contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 440-487-8125. This site will also provide information about who we are and what we do www.neodf.org .
I appreciate all of your assistance and dedication to the citizens of Geauga County. It is our organizations, whose active roles in the community, are the Hope for America!
Brandon Drabek, Ohio Defense Force Home Guard - Geauga County Home Guard
The Geauga Constitutional Council will assist you and your group in any way we can.
You all sound like a bunch of patriotic, well trained, well armed people whose hearts are in the right place.
I'm sure that any Sheriff in any county would love to have an organization such as this at their disposal, with expert experience and training, in serious or catastrophic situations where extra manpower is needed.
We personally are glad to have you in the great county of Geauga! I think it essential that every county in the country have an organization like this.
It is my hope that many will read this and be encouraged to join!